Tuesday 31 July 2012

Singing Showmen

I have through the times had some discussions with people about the music I like. It has been argued that the likes of Tom Waits have a facade, or theatricality which might seem unreal. That since they use theatrics they are somehow more contrived than the rockstar which enters the stage in jeans and some random t-shirt lauding some other band popular at the times. Well, people are entitled to their opinions, but if this is your attitude I think you are on the wrong track.
The nonchalant rockstar which has seemingly put no effort into his looks or stagecraft has no monopoly on emotional truth, rather to the contrary. The only thing I will concede to is that in such a fashion they can express a certain kind of truth real well, but the world is filled with truths of all shapes and sizes and the truths I believe in are best expressed wearing a long coat, a sombrero, staged in africa and punctuated with tosses of confetti.
There, I have said it and I feel better for it.

Below are three of my all time favorite musicians. 

Mikelangelo


C W Stoneking

Tom Waits

No comments:

Post a Comment